Fax numbers are dedicated, available, & pre-allocated on
PBX Private Branch Exchange (English)
Local Call Office (American)
. Enquire if needed. Numbers are not
listed here as:
- My fax equipment is now usually OFF, until somone asks
me to turn it on.
- It's rarely needed, leaving it off reduces peak fuse
power rating & UPS load, & energy consumption &
reduce heat in office on warm days.
Fax is a bit old fashioned:
- Low resolution (96 (vertical) x 192 (horizontal)
dots per inch (low resolution default), 192 x 192 in
high res. "Fine"); Compare with laser printer minimums
of 300 x 300 (& 600 x 600)
- If it fails in mid run, then it restarts from
beginning, with a big roll or stack of paper.
- Can be abused by spammers: paper waste, noise &
line tied up for minutes.
- My fax number is not here, to avoid more spammers
harvesting it with web crawler robots. Though fax
spamming is illegal in Germany, it's not from some
other countries, & sometimes Germans (& others)
[also] fax spam from abroad.
- Thermo paper fades, rolls are tedious to cut &
scan (& USA & UK foolscap 12" too long for DIN
- Sheet wide printer ribbon is expensive & a
- Yes, Fax modems exist, & I have some, & the
software, (in fact I created
port/comms/hylafax/ for Hylafax on FreeBSD 16 May
1995, but fax is not so common now.
- Consider scanning or generating your .tiff format
image, enclosing it in a MIME enclosure, & sending it
- If I need to turn a fax on for business, just tell me,
& I'll tell you the fax number.